Ten Tips for Improving your Listening Skills
Below are 10 tips for improving your listening skills:
1. Take time to talk or schedule time to talk.
2. Speak in a quiet place with minimal distractions, when possible.
3. Make eye contact with the speaker.
4. Give responses to show that you're listening, like nodding or saying “uh–huh.”
5. Ask questions, but don't interrupt.
6. Be patient with the speaker.
7. Don't judge what the speaker is saying. Keep an open mind.
8. Check for word emphasis, sound level of speech, or speed of speech to tell you how the speaker is feeling.
9. Repeat back what you heard. Ask the speaker if you missed anything.
10. Ask the speaker about his or her feelings. Give the best guidance you can.
For more information or support options to help you improve your listening skills reach out to Canopy EAP.
Canopy EAP Canopy was founded in 1975 and we have been providing Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services since 1978. Canopy's mission is to support organizational success and improve quality of lives. Canopy provides member groups' employees and family members a comprehensive, full service EAP with a focus on customer service, technology, outcomes and integrated wellness. In addition, Canopy supports our employer partners with tools such as Wellness, Digital Therapy, Coaching and Training.